Post Directory

Joe Brown

Joe Brown was inducted into the US Air Force on September 1961. He took basic training at San Antonio, Texas and was a radar operator at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi. Mississippi. He was discharged for the US Air Force in September 1965.

Joe Buckner

Joe Buckner (Past Commander of Post 532) was inducted into the Us Army on December 9, 1967 and served with the 7th Army 35th. F.A. Co C in Europe He then was deployed to Vietnam in the Central Highlands North to Da Nang, Quang Tri Provence.

Joe was released from active duty in October 31, 1971. He presently serves in the Air Force Reserves.

Joey Buckner

Joseph Buckner entered the US Marines on October 12, 1993. He was stationed on Parris Island. SC, Camp LeJune, NC, Millington, Tennessee, El Toro, Tusun, California. He was assigned to air Craft maintenance on Helicopter 53. He received Rifle Sharp Shooter Award and Meritorious Ribbons.

Phillip Cantley
Commander American Legion Post 532

Philip Cantley enlisted in the United States Air Force in May 1971, took basic training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. Upon completion of basic training he was assigned to Beale AFB, CA as a Security Policeman. His primary duty was guarding the B-52s loaded with nuclear weapons, the KC 135 tankers and the SR-71 Blackbird. He spent all of his tour of duty in CA except for one TDY back to Lackland AFB for Security Police Combat Preparedness Course. He also worked in the Aerospace Systems Security Section.This duty required him to walk the flight line looking for security breaches, etc. Phil was promoted to the rank of Sergeant in May 1973. He was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation with Oak Leaf Cluster (received this award two years in a row), the National Defense Medal, the Air Force Good Conduct Medal, the Air Force Longevity Service Award, Outstanding Unit Award, and the Small Arms Expert Ribbon. Cantley left the Air Force in May 1974 and returned home to West Virginia. He was discharged in May 1977.Phil has been married to his wife Joan for 25 years.

Henry Clement

Henry Clement answered Uncle Sam’s call from his local draft board on January 12, 1943 and reported to Camp Joseph T. Robinson in Little Rock, Arkansas after receiving limited basic training, he was deployed to Normandy arriving there four days after the initial invasion. From Normandy he began serving with the 114th Infantry Division Supply Force as a truck driver delivering supplies, food, water and ammunition. His first actual encounter with the enemy was at Cherbourg, France. He and his unit helped liberate many small villages and towns thorough out France.

Henry was discharged at Camp Grudger in Oklahoma in December 1945 as a Sergeant. He received a Good conduct Medal, seven campaign ribbons, American Theater, EAME Theater, Victory Infantry, Glider and Driver and Mechanical Award.

Louis Cook

Louis cook served in the US Army from April 1950-April 1953. He received training at Fort Knox and Fort Hood. He was then sent to Korea as a tank driver and turret Artillery mechanic with 1st Armored Division 73rd Tank Battalion Co. A. He was released from active duty in 1953.

Bill Dailey

In March 1943, Bill Dailey, at the age of eighteen, answered the call of our County’s Local Draft Board along with 41 other Clay County youth. (A complete listing of draftees is in the 1991 Sixth Annual Chatuge Dam Fireworks and Veterans of Foreign Wars Publication.)  As Debbie Joe Ferguson in her book’ WalkThrough Hell vividly describes events our foot solders experienced during WW-11.  Bill to Marched through hell while serving in the Pacific Campaign during WW-11 and survived to relate his experiences.

Bill began his march by first being inducted at Camp Croft in South Carolina and was sent for basic training to Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. There he completed his four weeks basic training and was given additional six month training in heavy weaponry.

He was then deployed to the Solomon Islands where he joined the Americal Division fighting in the Pacific Campaign under the command of General Patch.  At Bougainsville Island he helped defend a strategic air field. He was assigned to the 164th Infantry Regiment. While serving at this duty station, Bill ran into Max Anderson, a radio man, and Clay Rogers both were serving in other unit.  Bill said he met Rogers at least three times.

His company landed and fought on three different islands in the Philippines: Laye, Negros and Cebu.  It was at Bougainsville in the Philippines where Bill proved himself as a heroic foot soldier.  His company routed out Japanese soldiers from all these islands either capturing or eliminating them. It was during these battles that Bill distinguished himself by being awarded seventeen war and campaign metals.  Among these were the Bronze Star with lst Oak Leaf and V. Device, Bronze Star w/V Dev.,  Purple Heart, Asiatic Pacific Campaign w/2 Bronze Btl Stars, Victory Medal, Army Occupation 3/Jap. Clasp, Combat Inf., Good Conduct and others.  While being interviewed, Bill had a smirk on his face when asked about his Good Conduct Metal. He replied, “I didn’t get caught.” When asked about his Marksmanship Metal he said, “I had good practice in shooting squirrels and deer.”

Bill’s heroic bravery is best described in the book, Under The Southern Cross, while in battle on Negros Island. “In a local attack in the objective area June 12 a 164 Infantry platoon ran into such heavy enemy fire that it was forced to withdraw after suffering half-dozen casualties.  One of those hurt was Pfc. William H. Dailey, of Shooting Creek, North Carolina, who was first wounded by an enemy hand grenade and then blown over a twelve-foot cliff by the impact of the explosion.  After he had rolled an additional twenty yards down the steep bank and despite the painful wounds in his neck and left arm, Dailey, an action squad leader, rejoined his unit, supervised the evacuation of casualties, and saw to it that his squad was safely withdrawn.”  He was awarded the Purple Heart, Bronze Star with Victory Metal and Oak Leaf Cluster for his heroic action.

Bill recalled many incidents in battle in removing Japanese from both the Solomon Islands and the Philippines.  One he vividly recalled while on patrol his squad encountered fierce enemy fire and had to retreat.  Firing his automatic weapon, he pinned down the enemy.  While exercising this maneuver Bill witnessed two of his comrades killed by a hand grenade tossed by one of the Japanese that landed in their path.

In making his own retreat, Bill, unconsciously grasped the red-hot barrel of his gun. He recalled the excruciating pain.

 Another incident he recalled was during the landing on the beach of Bougainville (Solomon Island) doing a mop-up operation. The Japanese had suffered many casualties from air strikes on the island and had buried their dead in open areas of the jungle.   His unit exiting from the landing crafts was ordered to reassemble on the beach and march into the jungle.  Reaching an open area about three miles from the beach the unit prepared to camp and began digging foxholes. Some of the foxholes had to be relocated as they were being dug on top of buried Japanese soldiers. He recalled that throughout that first night on Layte, the Japanese bombarded the beach with aircraft strafing, bombs, and from motor shelling. The next morning he saw foxholes blown apart and dead soldiers lay everywhere.

Another while Layte his squad of twelve members set up an ambush along a path the Japanese used visiting a spring.  When the Japanese soldier converged on the spring they were eliminated.  Bill recalls letting one get within six to eight feet before he took evasive action.

Also on Negros Bill participated in a mop-up operation when Japanese soldiers fled to the hillside.  He said, “We went after them.”

On Sabu beaches in January l945, Bill’s Unit did amphibious training for several months in preparation for invasion of the Japanese Mainland.  The task force was on its way to the Mainland and was six days out when the war ended.  The task force landed in September 1945 in Yokohama Japan.  Bill spent time in Yokohama before being shipped back to the States.

Bill still maintains contact with four of his war buddies living in Ohio, Kentucky, Alabama, and Louisiana. He lamented that he is fast losing his buddies as he started out keeping contact with twelve. He says to his knowledge there are three WW-11 veterans living in the Shooting Creek area.

Bill is a member of the Veteran of Foreign Wars, the American Legion, and AMVET organizations. He is active in these organizations and participates in many of their activities.

Following the war Bill took advantage of the GI Bill in a Farm Training Program.  Soon after completing this course, he began doing part-time plumbing for his neighbors and others which turned into a full-time vocation lasting for some forty plus years. He plumbed many of the homes in Clay County including mine.

Bill and his wife Willamae, now deceased, are the proud parents of three children, and have seven grand children, and three great-great grandchildren.

Bill said, “I am proud of all my metals and awards, and I am happy that I served my country.”  I assured him that on behalf of all of us we are proud of him being our hero.

Lester Danner

Chief Petty Officer, Lester Danner,  a twenty six (26) year career veteran served honorably in WW-11, Korean and the Viet Nam wars.  His career began in March l945 with his basis training at Great Lakes, Illinois and ended on March l0, 197l.

As a Hospital Corpsman, he rose through the ranks to Master Chief Petty officer to an E-9 rating.  A majority of his duty stations were in Naval Hospital facilities in:  Georgia, Virginia, Illinois, California, Indiana, Illinois, and Alaska.   At Dublin, Georgia in 1945 he remembers the Navy used captured Germans as hospital attendants. In 1963 he did a tour of duty with the marines at Camp Pendleton, California. Lester said, “That was a tough bunch to deal with.”  While serving a short tour of duty in Adak, Alaska, he commented that he almost froze his buns off.

He served at two Duty stations outside the States with the  3rd. Med 3rd Mar Div. in  l963, and with  the HQTRS Force Troops Fmf Pac, July 64-67. In addition, he served aboard four ships:  the USS Catalpa, An 10 ,(a Net Tender), USS Wrangell, AE 12, (a  Ammo  Ship), USS Catamount LAD 17, (Landing Craft) and aboard the USS Ticonderoga, CVA 13, (air craft carrier.)   He recalled while serving on the Catalpa, (Net Tender) sailing from San Diego, California, to Yokosuka, Japan it took several weeks as the top speed  (flank) of the ship was six (6) knots 1.15 miles per hour.  Having served on an aircraft carrier with 1,800 member crew, I asked Chief Danner if he, as a corpsman, ever assisted in performing a delicate operation below the belt on a crew member.  He said, “NO.”  One funny incident he recalled while serving on the carrier was after giving all crew members a series of shots, in their behinds, the ship crossed the equator. As a tradition, first timers crossing the equator must go through a belt line—pain, pain!

His DD-214 listed six (6) Good Conduct Metals during this career.  When asked about this, his replay was, “I didn’t get caught.”

Lester did take advantage of the GI Bill and attended Tri-County, (at that time) an Industrial Education Center, taking one year diploma courses in Brick and Masonry, Carpentry, and in Electronic Servicing.

He is active in several organizations: American Legion, VFW, Masons, Scottish Rite, and NAFA.  Lester is also a member of the News Life Church.

He was married to the late Lucy Brown Danner for 45 years and they had no children.

Sam Davis

Sam Davis Jr. entered the US Army on December 11, 1966 and served with the 174th Assault Helicopter Co. as Crew Chief and door gunner. Sam was stationed in Vietnam from 1967 until 1968 at Base Camp, Duc Pho, American 101st Airborne, 4th Infantry And 1st Calvary.

Robert Epperson

Robert (Bob) Epperson joined the U.S. Navy in March 1944 at age 15 with his parents’ permission.   During this period, he was making the transition from grade nine to grade ten. Finishing basic training, he was assigned to Daytona Beach, Florida, in the base commissary for a two year period as cook.   He was offered a second class petty officer rating if he would take a test and “ship over.” However, at that time, you could become eligible for separation from active duty by accumulating a certain number of points. Bob had the necessary points.   Deciding against taking a test and “shipping over,” he was then discharged as first class seamen.  Returning home, he enrolled in a local high school under the G.I. Bill. After finishing high school Bob enrolled in Polk County, Florida, Community College for three years. 

Two important events he recalled while serving in the Navy stand out. One was in the summer of l945 he assisted in capturing the crew from a Nazi sub and its crew who were trying to dismantle a radar station on Flagler Beach., Florida.

The other incident occurred when he and his buddies were dispatched to assist in retrieving the carnage (both pilots died) resulting from a mid air collision.

On a lighter note he recalls being escorting Frank Sinatra and his crew who were touring the area after they has completed a USO show.

Bob has a wide experience in business, starting upholstery and restaurant business.  In addition, he served the Polk County School System for 23 years as an auditor.

Bob joined the American Legion Post Four in Lakeland, Florida, and he served in all officer positions including post commander.  He was also a District Director for the 7th American Legion District of Florida, representing 7,000 members in Polk and Pasco counties. He has been involved in other Civic organization: A ten year member and volunteer for the Clay County Chamber of Commerce, Member and Board Member of the Clay County Historical and Arts Council; Serves on the Executive Committee of the George Lee American legion Post 532 of Hayesville; Member of the CCCRA serving as a Board director.

Bob is married to Shirley Epperson and he has two sons, one daughter and one step son. He has ten grand children and four great grand children.   Bob is proud that he has raised a patriotic family. One son, John R. Epperson, is a 30 year Navy Career Veteran and another son, Wayne D. Epperson, served 8 years in the U.S. Army.

Bob said he proud he served in forces of the country he honors and loves.


Rondle Ford


Bo Ford entered the US Army on December 28, 1963 to January 7, 1970. He served in Vietnam.


Noel C. Galloway

Noel Galloway entered the US Army in February 10, 1951. He served in Korea and Japan with the 47th Viking Infantry Division and 24th Division’. He was released from active duty on January 29, 1953.

Jimmie Graves

Jim Graves was inducted into the US Navy on October 1968 at Ft Jackson, Columbia SC. He was sent to Boot Camp in Orlando FL, Co 072, then assigned to Naval Training Center RMA School, Secure Communications in Bainbridge MD and ordered to USS Wrangell AE-12 homeport Charleston SC. Assigned to 6th Fleet Task Force Mediterranean Sea. Under USS Saratoga CV-3, Operations in the Middle East include Libyan Revolution and takeover by Kaddafi rebel forces. Lebanon Conflict and taken over by rebel forces, closing of American Embassies and evacuation of all American personnel. Cypress Conflict and take over by rebel forces. Egyptian/Israeli conflict, Suez Canal Zone,, Izmir Turkey NATO support OPS, Injured back in US  assigned to 6 month TAD to Charleston Naval Hospital, Charleston SC, assigned to Charleston Naval  Communications Center Charleston SC .

Honorable Discharge October 20 1971.

Jack Greve

Military Service

  • United States Air Force 1958 – 1962
  • Command: USAF Security Service
  • Specialty: Communications Surveillance
  • Duty stations:  Karamursel Air Station, Turkey
  • USAFSS Hqs. Command, Kelly AFB, San Antonio, TX

Professional Experience

  • 35 years in telecommunications industry.
  • Asst. Program Manager and Program Manager on multi million dollar project in U.S., Europe, Middle East, and Far East

The American Legion

  • Post: Charter member George Lee Post 532, Hayesville, NC
  • Post Assistant Adjutant 2009-2010
  • Post 3rd Vice Commander 2010-2011
  • Post Adjutant 2011-2012
  • Post 1st Vice Commander 2012-2013
  • Post Honor Guard 2010 to present
  • Department: District/Post delegate to State Conventions 2009-2012
  • District/Post delegate to 2009-2013 Fall & Winter Conferences
  • Elected District 25 Vice Commander 2011-2013
  • Graduate Legion College Extension Institute
  • National: Honorary member National Distinguished Guests Committee

2011 –2012

  • Honorary member National Veterans’ Preference Committee


Other Associations

  • USAFSS TUSLOG Turkey Reunion Group
  • Past President Washington Telecommunications Society
  • Record Keeper Page Communications Engineers, Inc. Reunion Group
  • Long time member National Rifle Association
  • Past member Civil Air Patrol, Cadet and Senior Squadron, Washington D.C.
  • D.C. CAP Drill Team Commander and international exchange delegate to Sweden, 1955


  • High School – Bethesda Chevy Chase HS, Bethesda Md.
  • Univ. of Maryland – Business & Public Relations major, Journalism, minor
  • Honorary member Phi Sigma Kappa Fraternity, Eta Chapter


  • Married 50 years, three sons, one deceased, two grandchildren
  • Enjoy reading, community activities, and travel
Chip Harper

Chip Harper was inducted into the United States Air Force in 1980. He served two years in Bitburg, Germany and the remainder at Langley, VA. His duty was air conditioning Refrigeration and Cyrogenics.

He served for eight years and was released from duty in 1988.

Charles “Chuck” R. Hermanson,

Charles Ronald “Chuck” Hermanson served in the United States Navy from January 1951 to November 1954. He was assigned the USS Dashiell (DD659).

Tommy Hooper

Tommy Hooper was inducted into the US Army on May 9, 1966. He took basic training at Ft. Benning, GA and then to Ft. Gordon, GA. From there he was sent to Stuttgart, Germany as an armed guard for General David A. Burchinal, Deputy Chief of European Forces. He attained the rank of E-4 and was released from active duty on May 22, 1968.

Walt Hyzer

Enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in July 1963 and was discharged in July 1973. He was stationed at Camp LeJeune, NC, Camp Pendelton, CA, Camp Schwab, Okinawa, Vietnam, and Parris Island, SC.

George R. Keyes

George Keyes was inducted on January 4, 1951 at Cleveland, Ohio into Battery A 206 FS BN. From there, he went to Fort Knox, KY with the 206 FA as a Trainee, Cadre and Battery Carpenter. In October of 1951 George was sent to Lynchburg, VA and shipped overseas with a unit from Long Island, NY. He was stationed in Munich, Germany with the National Guard and their 105 howitzers. In December of 1952 he was sent to Augsburg with the 103 F. A. Battery and was assigned gun chief with base unit 155 Howitzer. In December of 1952, he returned to the United States by way of Fort Dix, NJ. George was separated on December 20, 1952 and served in the Army Reserve until April of 1953. George was given an Honorable Discharge on December 6, 1956.

George Leduc

George Leduc entered the US Navy in 1968 and spent one year in training. George was an Aviation Electrician.  He served in Vietnam on a UH-1B Helicopter as a Door-Gunner with the Navy Hal-3 “Seawolves” in the Delta, [III & IV Corp], for 13 months. In 1971, he served with an A-6 Squadron/VA-42 Green Pawns in Virginia for 23 months. In 1979, he served with the Connecticut Air National Guard on  F-100’s for one year. Later in 1980 he served in Massachusetts a P-3 Squadron/VP-92 Minuteman for four years with the active reserve “Tar” Program. George served four years on active duty.

Final rank was as a 2nd Class Aviation Electrician [AE-5}

Theodore Leduc

Theodore Leduc was inducted into the US Army on November 1, 1968. He went to VMI and became an officer and took his basic training at Ft. Benning, GA. He was Officer on Duty at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington, DC. He then took jungle training in Panama and then sent to Vietnam with A Company, 1st Battalion 22nd Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division. He was promoted to Captain at Fort Leonardwood and served as Company Commander of a basic training company. He was released from active duty in November  1971.

Carl Maxwell

Carl Maxwell entered the air force in June 1966. Crew chief on c-141 at Charleston AFB, S.C. 437th OMS awarded outstanding unit award for four years and presidential unit citation for two years. Honorably discharged in may 1970 with the rank of e-5.

Jackie McClure

Jackie McClure was inducted into the US Army in 1967. He served with the 9th Infantry in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969 in the Mekong Delta, Dong Tam. He received a Bronze Star (with v. device) and four Army Commendations, one with Valor. He was discharged from the US Army in 1969.

Dan McGlamery

Dan McGlamery was inducted on April, 1966 into the United States Army National Guard. He was stationed at Fort Dix New Jersey and served with the 210th MP Co. in Waynesville, NC.

He served a total of two years of active service and four years on active and inactive reserve and was released from duty on April, 1972.

Harry Methfessel

Harry Methfesswel entered the U.S. Army in 1950 and took basic training at Camp Pickett, VA. Further training in Fort G.G. Meade Maryland. He was then shipped to Munich, Germany as Battalion Mess Sgt. for 43rd. Infantry Division. Also, He was used as an interpreter.

When he was discharged, he enlisted in the Coast Guard at Cape May N.J. for basic training and ran the Coast Guard Cutter from New York to New London, Ct. and Montauk Point. At present, he still is in the Coast Guard Auxiliary. He was discharged from the U. S. Army in September of 1952.

Carl Moore

Carl Moore , a Korean Veteran, joined the Navy in April 1952 and served for four years. He receive his basic training San Diego, California.

Moore’s first duty station was Guam where he serve for 18 months. While there he attended a Yeoman’s School, and did clerical work for a large machine shop.

Returning to the states, he was then assigned to the USS Yorktown CVA-10 aircraft carrier. The carrier visited several foreign ports: Hawaii, Hong Kong, China, Japan and the Philippines. Patrolling the area north of Japan, the carriers planes flew guard duty while troops evacuated one of the islands in Japanese Sea held by North Korea. The carrier patrolled for two weeks the Formosa Straights then mainland China threatened to take the island.

Moore was then assigned to Chase Naval Air Station in Beeville, Texas, where he completed his four year enlistment. His DD214 shows he received the China Service, National Defense Service, and Good Conduct Medals.

After being released from active duty, Carl enrolled in summer school at Western Carolina Teachers College under the GI Bill. He finished his BS degree in Commerce in two years and 3 summer schools and began teaching at Hayesville High School.

He and his wife Janice, have been married for 44 years, and they have one child and one grandchild.

Donald Mull

Donald Mull entered the U.S. Army on May 19, 1966.

He served with the 101st. and 82nd. Airborne in Vietnam.

He was released from active duty on May 9, 1968.

Barry Oliver

Barry enlisted in the U.S. Air Force on July 17, 1960 along with 4 of his high school buddies from Lanett, Alabama. After completing basic training and Air Police School at Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX, he was assigned to the 306th Combat Defense Squadron, 321st Bomb Wing, SAC, McCoy AFB, Orlando, FL. The Bomb Wing consisted of KC-135 tankers and B-47 Bombers, then later, B-52 Bombers. There he became a K-9 handler/trainer and worked with his German Shepherd, Storm, during the Cuban Missile Crisis. He was a certified Expert Shooter and firearms trainer. When Storm passed away two years later, Barry transferred to the law enforcement section. He was sent to Ben Guierer AFB, Morrocco, and Lajes AFB, Azores Islands, then back to McCoy. As a Staff Sergeant, he was honorably discharged on July 17th, 1966.

Carl Patterson

Carl Patterson entered the U.S. Army on January 8, 1966 and served with the 595th Signal Company attached to the 1st Infantry Division in Lai Kae, Vietnam.

He was released from active duty on July 17, 1969

Floyd Phillips

Floyd Phillips was inducted on November 1978 into the United States Navy Reserve.

He was assigned to VA 205 A78’s & A7’e. Aviation Admin plus Loadmaster/Aircrew on C-118 (DC9) VR46 Atlanta, VA205 Atlanta. with over 1000 flight hours. For the last 15 years of his career, he was a Training Instructor, Career Counselor

He served twenty one active years of service  and was released  from duty on March, 1999.

Bob A. Rogers

Bob Rogers entered the US Air Force in 1954 and served until 1958. He was stationed in Texas for 9 months and then in Germany for 3 years. Bob’s main duty was a cryptanalyst.

Mark Runge

In October of 1962 I got a nice letter from John F. Kennedy that stated “Greetings”, you have been drafted into the US Army. I went to the draft board and asked how soon it would be and the gal told me between 3 and 6 months or I could volunteer for the draft and it would be in January of 1963. I opted for the volunteer basis and was inducted in Miami, Fl in  January 23, 1963.

I was put on a train for Fort Jackson, SC where I was issued my initial gear and then on to Fort Gordon, GA for basic training. After 8 weeks of basic training, I stayed at Fort Gordon and entered Military Police School. After that training, in June of 1963, I flew to New York and boarded the USS Buckner and 7 days later was in Bremerhaven ,Germany. From there, I was sent to Dahn, Germany as a security MP guarding the 583rd Ordnance Co. that dealt in Nike Hercules missiles. The work area that the missiles were repaired and stored was in underground German hospital caves.

After about 3 months of guard duty, I was called into the orderly room and sent to Pirmasens, Germany (Headquarters 59th. Ordnance Command) and got a job in a documents office as a clerk typist. The 59th Ordnance Group was also called AWSCOM (Advanced Weapons Support Command and controlled all Nike Hercules Missiles in NATO countries). We processed 26,000 Top Secret, Secret, Cosmic, and Secret Restricted Data. We were billeted in old German SS barracks named D’Isley Kaserne. I got to see France, England, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Sweden, Netherlands, Denmark, Austria, Italy, Belgium. I extracted a piece of the Berlin Wall that I still have today. Because I had a Top Secret clearance, I could not enter Communistic countries.

In December of 1964, I boarded a train bound for Bremerhaven and boarded the USS Patch and 9 days later arrive in New York harbor and Fort Hamilton where I was released to return home. In March of 1965, I received a letter from the 173rd. MP Co, in Melbourne, FL and had to serve two years of active reserve. That meant two Tuesday nights and one full Sunday each month and 2 two weeks in summer camp. That later changed to all day Saturday and all day Sunday each month.

First summer camp, I went to Fort Gordon, GA and integrated with a MP company pulling regular MP duty. The second summer, I went to Fort Benning, GA and integrated with a CID unit chasing AWOLS around the state of Georgia.

With those two years of active reserve duty completed, I went on inactive duty until January 23, 1969 when I received my Honorable Discharge from the US Army. Mark and his wife Pamela have been married for 46 years and have 2 children and four grandchildren.

Larry Sams

Military Career

1959 -1963 United States Marine Corps Rank: Corporal
Radio-Telegraph Operator
Stationed in Comm Company, Student Demo Troops Quantico, VA and 12th Marines, 3rd MarDiv, FMF, Okinawa

1976 – 1984  North Carolina Army National Guard Rank Sergeant
Military Police 210MP Company, Murphy, NC
Member 109 MP Bn Rifle Team

1984 – 1994 U.S. Air Force Reserve Rank: SMSgt
Services Superintendant 22 CEF Dobbins AFB, GA
Trips to Germany and Spain

Attained retirement as an E-8in 2000



Graduated from Hayesville HS, AS Young Harris College, BsEd WSU, MAEd MCU


1965 – 1967 Lab Tech U.S. Ceramic Tile, Canton, OH. 1971 – 1996 Counselor, Math – Science Teacher, Hayesville High School.

Married to Janet Holden, one son, Dan.

Donald Schneider

Don Schneider was inducted on January 19, 1970 into the United States Marine Corps.

He was stationed with the H & S Battalion in Parris Island, SC.

He served two active years of service and four years of inactive service and was released  from duty on January 19, 1976.

Wallace Smith

Wallace A. Smith, a Clay County Native, joined the United States Air Force, October 31, 1950  and retired with thirty three and one half (33 l/2 years of service in 1985 as a Senior Master Sergeant.

Wallace received his basic training at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas and graduated from the USAF Supply School at Larry AFB in Colorado. His major time spent in service was at Donaldson Air Force Base in Greenville, South Carolina.  At this duty station, he was assigned to an Inspection Team and later served as Supply Superintendent for the entire Air Force Reserves.  Both these assignment required extensive travel to:  England, France, Spain, and to Puerto Rico, and Germany..

Wallace took advantage of the G.I. Bill of Rights and attended Western Carolina Teachers College, receiving his B.S Degree in Education specializing in Middle School Instruction.  He then completed a program in School Administration receiving a M.A. Degree from Western Carolina University.  He ended his teaching career with the Clay County School System after being employed for thirty two and one half (32 ½.)  in 1985.

He is a member of the Clay County Masonic Lodge 301, The American Legion, George Lee Post 532, and member of the Retired Teacher’s Association. He is member of the Downing Creek Baptist Church and has taught Sunday school, Director of the Head Start Program serving Cherokee, Clay, Graham, and Swain counties, and is currently serving as Board Member for the Four Square Community Action Progra            Wallace and his wife, Martha, have been married for 57 years, this union has produced four (4) children, fourteen (l4) grand Children, and six (6) /Great Grand Children.

Wallace says, “He is proud to have served his County during the Korean Conflict in helping keep our nation free.”

John Thurman

John W. Thurman was inducted on January 13, 1964 into the United States Army. He was stationed with the 18th Airborne Corps Artillery, Ft. Bragg, NC

He served two active years of service and was released from duty on January 13, 1966.

Paul Vaught

Paul Vaught entered the U. S Army in 1953 and served with the 32nd. Infantry, 7th. Division of the 8th Army in Korea. He was released from active duty in 1955.

James Warner

As a youth Col. Warner dreamed of one day becoming an airplane pilot. His dream was fulfilled serving over 30 years as a pilot in the Army/Air Force in three Wars: WW11, Korean, and Vietnam, receiving 21 plus medals and awards.  Among the medals he received included:  Legion of Merit, Distinguished Flying Cross, Soldiers Medal, Air Medal, Bronze Star and Unit Command Medal.

In beginning this dream Jim enrolled in 1941 in a two year college equivalency school in California. He was then accepted into an aviation cadet program and sent to Kelly Field in Santana, Texas, along with 15,000 potential pilots, navigators and bombardiers; He was then assigned to Waco, Texas, for basic flight training.  At Moses Lake, Washington, he further trained as a co-pilot for flying B-17s.

His entire unit shipped out to England and joined the 8th Air Force.  There he and his crew flying in “Little Willie,” a prototype B17G model plane, completed 25 bombing missions over various German targets.   On one particular mission over Schweinfort, Germany, bombing a ball bearing factory, he recalled that 60 planes and 600 men were lost.

Jim’s unit was assigned to and operated under a British RAF unit that specialized in  a new then  technique in jamming radio signals.  He called, “On the night before D-Day we started flying, and the British had all our air craft up.  We were given geographic points along the English Channel and instructed to fly in circles the entire night using these jamming devices.   The next day, January 6, 1944, we learned from a Nazi radio station in France that we had been participating in the invasion.”

Returning to the States he attended and graduated from a communications school at Scott Army Air Force Base in Marana, Arizona.  He was then dispatched to two other air force bases, one in Fort Myers, Florida, and another in El Paso, Texas, both  in the process of being closed.,   At El Paso after a thirty day waiting period  not knowing what his next assignment, would be, Jim, I was told I had a choice: get out of the service or go to Japan.   Japan didn’t sound interesting to him so he took a discharge but stayed in the reserves.  Returning to Virginia he qualified for a flight instructors rating.

As a flight instructor near Big Stone, Virginia, Jim related an amusing story.  A cow pasture leased from a farmer agreed to graze cows only late in the evening and at night freeing the pasture for day landings.  He recalled that generally the first flight in the morning when taking off down the grassy strip you’d hear splat..splat..cow manure flying all over the aircraft. It dried and when we got back we had to wash our plane removing the excessive weight–quite an experience.

Shortly he was called back to active duty as a four engine pilot, and again deployed to Germany  At Sembach Air Base his squadron provided communications during the crisis over the Berlin Wall. Jim did little flying during this time but was the chief communications officer for his squadron.  “ We would fly over areas in the Mediterranean and provide communication coverage, and we also did rescue work.  Our unit was deployed to France to assist with the horrendous floods in Holland and the floods in Bolivia and avalanches in Switzerland. It was in the Netherlands that I witnessed the Queen at a knighting ceremony, of our commander, “He said.”

Jim then returned to the States to West Palm Beach, Fla., and for the next three years helped close the base. He was then transferred to Scott Air Force Base in Bellville, Illinois, after which he attended the USAF Institute of Technology and Signal School’s Airways Communications Systems Division at Fort Monmouth, New Jersey.  Eventually, he  attended  an extensive  course  in Training with Industry  taking him to various locations: Bell Telephone in New Jersey; Microwave Usage in Business at a Cooperation Headquarters  in Pennsylvania, and at  a AT&T facility  in New York.  After completing this course he was reassigned back to Germany—his second. He served there for three years until suffering a heart attack in February 1965. Returning back to Virginia, he was assigned to the Pentagon for four years.

Fully recuperated, he was deployed to Vietnam for a year, serving as a  Communications Officer.  Returning to Arlington, Virginia, he was then assigned to the National Communications System in Washington, D. C.  During this tour he was involved in several flood disasters:  Buffalo Creek, In West Va. and in Rapid City, SD.

Col. Jim served thirty one years in the Air Force before retiring; however, he is still active in Air Force Associations and in the MOOA.

Col. Jim and his Commanding Officer, Fran, his wife of 67 years reside in a beautiful home on the bank of peaceful Compass Creek in the Compass Creek Development off Tusquittee Road with their two spoiled cats, Jack and Jill. Fran refers to them as her children.  The Warners have two children and no grand children.

Both Jim and Fran are involved in many activities of First United Methodist Church of Hayesville having served on many committees. Jim has served in key positions including: chairman of Finance, Board of Trustees, and Long-Range Planning.

For the past 20 years he has been President of the Compass Creek Homeowners Association.

Fran is currently a member of First Church’s Choir, and a member of various women organizations.

Col. Jim and Fran said, “We love it here and wouldn’t live anyplace else.”

Stan Warth

Stan Warth entered the U.S. Naval Reserve in 1944 and was sent to the University of South Carolina and Georgia Tech.

He was released from active duty in 1946

Martha Warth

Martha Neal Haigler Warth entered the US Navy Waves in October of 1944. She was stationed in Washington D.C. working in communications and intelligence. Her rank was Seaman 1st Class and released from active duty in April of 1946.

Edward Woodard

Don Woodard entered  the US Army from 1952. He was stationed at Fort Jackson and then served in Korea for 16 months with the 47th Transportation Co.  and after that was stationed at Fort Bragg.

He was released from active duty in 1955.